Saturday, January 29, 2011

Zoey....


My Zoe Zoe
Today was a normal day until our dog Zoey didn't come home. You see we live on a hill in the woods. So every single morning when I wake up (usually around 8:30 or 9) I let the pooches out to do their business, run, frolic, what ever... They always spend about an hour outside, running in the woods, exploring and what have you, then they come home -always together. Today didn't happen that way. For what ever reason they decided to stay outside in the snow longer. Sadie was laying on the porch and decided she wanted to come inside at around 1 pm, but there was no Zoey in sight. I thought for sure that she would turn up eventually because she can't be too far away from her partner in crime for very long. I waited and waited, walked around the yard yelling for her, whistling, and she never showed. When the sun went down, the temperature dropped very quickly, and the snow on the ground didn't help matters. I began to panic. My throat is killing me tonight from yelling and whistling for her. At around 8, I called my husband at work and he started to worry as well. He called me about every half hour wondering if she had made it home yet. Still no Zoey. I would have been happy to hike up in the woods for her, but #1 I live on the side of a mountain... #2 there's a ton of snow on the ground and #3 I'm honestly too afraid. At 11 my husband told me he was coming home. He drove 2 hours home from work to help me search for Zoey. He took Sadie with him and they both went hiking in the woods at 1 am. He went as far as he possibly could, until he started hearing growling and he said he felt like something was watching & surrounding him. No doubt the coyote pack that has decided to take up residence here, or the black bear that we've noticed a few times. Nonetheless it freaked him out and he didnt want to chance it because he had no weapon to protect himself. So he headed back home. There was no trace of Zoey. He couldnt find any of her tracks, there was no blood or anything as a sign of a struggle... there was nothing. It is hunting season, and our woods are teaming w/ the prize... so Tim is considering that maybe one of the hunters found her and took her home. I feel if that were the case they would have called us though, because she does have a tag with her name and our number. And of course, we've not heard anything from anyone. Tonight there's nothing more we can do, besides worry about poor Zoey and pray that she's ok. Tomorrow morning the search begans a new... I am praying we find her, but honestly the chances are slim to none because a. the forest goes on and on here and she could be anywhere by now if she got lost. and b. if someone did take her, they would have called, if not they honestly had no intentions and we will probably never see her again.

This is the saddest night for me, because I love Zoey sooo much. I helped our dog Honey give birth to Zoey. I literally held her in my hands when she took her first breath. She's my ZoeZoe and I miss her soooo much already. I don't know what I'm going to do....

With Love,
Andrea

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Andrea! I'm so sorry Zoey is missing! I just got done saying a prayer that she'll return to you! I'm thinking about you today!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this and worry. I know you miss her. I do hope someone will return her home safely to you! You're in my thoughts & prayers!